Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Creating a new home

Seven years ago I moved from my home in Watertown Ma. to a townhouse condo in a western Massachusetts suburb. I had loved my little cape with its architectural detailing from the 1930's, and moving into a 1981 condo with 1980 crappy detailing was not something I was willing to take lying down. So I pulled out my checkbook and TOTALLY over-corrected the problem.

This was the family room/kitchen area I bought before I threw a contractor at it.
 View of the fireplace wall (duh).






View out to the terrace.















                                       This is the view into the kitchen. Do you like the black cabinets hanging down between the two rooms? This is a really good design idea if you want a room to feel like a dark cave. The kitchen has no windows, so all the light comes from the family room.
Here's the view into the family room from the kitchen. The parquet flooring was worn and cheap looking, and the cabinet arrangement was just downright bizarre, with a peninsula sticking into the room to make some kind of a snack bar.

Over the next few days, I will show the pictures of the progress of decorating in both the family room and kitchen, but I am too tired now to do it. So this is another teaser post. I realize, I am not a very nice person. I also realize I am lazy.
OK, OK, I'll post one picture.

I opened up the ceiling for a cathedral, and added sky lights. I did a lot of other stuff that I'll tell you about later. So COME BACK!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez, I'd forgotten how crappy the place used to look. That's a good thing, right?

Kris

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a transformation! Can't wait to see the rest of the pics!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Wow--hard to believe it's the same space!

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

Judging from the befores and the one teaser photo you shared today, I'd like to say you're lucky you have the funds and a great contractor to make such wonderful improvements! Can't wait to see more pics!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Wow, it looks like it turned into a great room, Betsy! I am going through that now. We moved from a 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath colonial to a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo/townhouse. I also have no windows in my kitchen {or on that side of the condo at all} and everything is basically open. Right now I'm just trying to get all my stuff set up to make this feel like home for us.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...