Thursday, December 1, 2011

How to fabric a wall, Chapter Two

For those of you who don't know this (and I'm betting it's most of you), before there was wallpaper, people covered their walls in fabric for a patterned or a more layered look. Wallpaper was developed for the poor peons who couldn't afford fabric on their walls.

Some of you guys have asked some fairly legitimate questions, so I will attempt to answer them.

  One.  This is for Amy  of Maison Decor. I didn't do anything to the @#$% walls to prepare them for the staples or the fabric. If you want a cushier look, you can first put up a layer of Dacron, this gives the walls a more upholstered look. But if you just put up the fabric, it looks more like wallpaper. Then when people come to look at the room, they will do a double take, and say "OMG!!! Is that fabric on the walls!!!!!?"
  Two.  For sewbetsy: As I previously noted ( pay attention, there will be a quiz), the reason I covered the walls in fabric rather than wallpaper, is because I know how to fabric the walls, and don't have the tools or the know how to wallpaper. This isn't to say I couldn't wallpaper if I put my mind to it, 'cuz I am awesome and very accomplished.
  Three.  To Connie Niki who thinks this is more work than she wants to attempt:  If you have no life (like me) than you would have the time to do something like this.

Now I will show you some pictures of the tools used for this project!!!

Four VERY important tools. The plastic measuring tool, is great for helping to cut welt. If you fold the fabric, and use this as a measure, the fabric cuts nice and cleanly. The yellow handled thingy is a staple puller. Don't buy the cheaper kind!!!! You want one like this that has a really sharp tip. The blue thingy I used to think was a wire cutter, but it's actually called a nipper, or a dike. This is used to pull out staples, once you have loosened one side. The long needle thingy is a regulator, and a wonderful, wonderful tool. This is great for holding fabric in place, tucking fabric in place, pushing fabric into place, and just in general making fabric do what you want it to do. It's invaluable for pushing the welting into place when you hot glue it over the staples.
This is my compressor!!!!!

Isn't it cute??? It makes life so much easier, I can't believe I didn't have one until two years ago.









And finally a picture of my long nose staple gun. This is necessary for getting into the corners. I didn't have one when I did the bungalow in Florida, and the corners were a mess, so I had to do two rows of double welting at each corner of the room to cover the mess I made with the staples.
I just used spell check, and either it isn't working, or this is the first time in my life that I didn't have anything spelled wrong!!!!!
On that note, I'll stop while I'm ahead.

5 comments:

Amy Chalmers said...

hahah! I am always laughing at how smart and GD funny you are!!! I like to use lots of exclamation points now too, because of you!!! Thanks for explaining the padded or not padded look. I just also think you can wash wallpaper, but if you have slobs or kids around, fabric is not something that can be cleaned. So someday I will show YOU how to wallpaper.

Sharon Rexroad's Bringing Creativity 2 Life said...

Thanks for showing us your "stuff" -- literally and figuratively.

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

When I grow up, I want to be awesome and accomplished like you!!! (The banter between you and Amy is a hoot!!!)

Anonymous said...

ALRIGHTY then ! Thanks for the scoop - I gotta go with Amy on the wallpaper if you have slobs and kids around.

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

Thanks for the next chapter in this saga of fabric-covering a wall. But again, thanks for your humor. Like I say, if this decorating thing starts to pull ya down, you've always got my vote for a stand-up comic! (BTW, I did know all about why fabric was used before paper on walls. OK, I have no life: I just read! Hahahaha!)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...