Tuesday, October 23, 2012

How to Upholster a Chair (or what did I get myself into???)

Well, campers.....
We left off on Saturday with the chair cleaned and painted.
I will now show the before and after!!!!!
Sooooo.....
let me show you what I went through to get from the beginning to the end!!!!!
After I painted the frame, I had to tie the springs back into a position that would create a comfy resting place for a discerning tush!!!

I started with the springs in this condition..... 
They was tilting every way but the way the were supposed to.....
So I pulled out my notes on how to do an 8 way hand tie, 'cuz what's the point in doing something if you're not going to do it the right way????
Step one....,
 I tied the springs in a row, front to back, pulling them down on the ends to create a crown.....
 The knots I used were a clove hitch, the only way I know that's what they're called, and how to do them, is that's the way the diagram showed it, and called it.....
I found the instructions here
Then I tied the springs side to side....
Making sure that they tilted down on the sides for the crown.....
 Then I tied them diagonally.
Look how the whole thing forms a nice crown!!!!!
I know what you're thinking right now......
You're thinking,
 "Boy, that Betsy, sure is da bomb!!!!!"
I must admit,
I was
VERY IMPRESSED WITH MYSELF!!!!!
Then I attached burlap over the springs with my trusty staple gun and compressor.....
 I stapled around the outside of the frame, and then folded the burlap over and stapled it down again.....
 Then I pulled out my fox edge.
 It comes in different sizes.
It's burlap folded over cording.
It's used to soften the edge of the wood frame, sos your tender thighs don't get bruised by the chair.....
 I stapled it to all four edges.
Line it up, so the outside edge of the fox edge just sticks a little beyond the frame.
Now it was time to create a back for the chair.
I pulled out my jute webbing......
 And I got my trusty web stretcher.....
And started building up the back. 
 Starting in the middle, I placed strips of webbing, and stretched them tight with the stretcher.
Then I stapled the ends back over.
Then I wove the horizontal strips across the back stapling them the same way.
This needs to be nice and taut.
 Then it was time to cut the foam for the seat.
I used 2" medium density foam.
Cut it to fit around the arms.....
To cut foam, I used an electric meat knife that I just bought from Bed Bath and Beyond.
I bought the cheapest one they had.
Attach the foam to the burlap with spray adhesive.....

 Then get the dacron out.....
 The dacron is wrapped around the foam tightly, and creates a nice seat.
 Then stop what you're doing,,,,,.....,,,,,
and realize you haven't put the burlap on the inside back of the chair yet.
And you're supposed to do that before you do the seat.
OOPS!!!!!
 Fold the burlap over at the edges and tack down with staples.
THEN PUT THE DACRON ON!!!!!
 I just kept making mistakes!!!!!
At this juncture, I had stapled the dacron to the bottom of the frame.
DON'T DO THAT!!!!!
So then I had to pull all those staples out and staple it to the side edge of the frame....
I just had a little brain fart.
That is happening to me more and more lately.
Jeesh.......
Because I was using antique French grain sack fabric, from an antique French grain sack, that is antique, and from France, and used to hold grain....
the fabric wasn't wide enough to cover the seat or inside back of the chair, so I added some plain linen fabric that I bought from the same vendor who sold me the grain sacks. The linen is also old and was from an unused bolt of the fabric the farmers used to make the sacks....in France.....that held grain!!!!!
Then I laid out the fabric so that the stripe was centered.....
and tacked the fabric to the center front, center back, and sides.....
to hold it in place while I worked on the chair.
Then I started in the center of the front and worked my way to the corners, smoothing and pulling the fabric taut.
Normally, I would start in the back, but because it was difficult to work in the front because of the decorative stretcher, I started in the front.
I cut out a slit for the arms and folded under the fabric in a pleat.
I'm not showing you how to do this because it's hard and you can see a tutorial here by this really good teacher.....
He shows you everything.
Problem is.....
Each chair is different, so you have to improvise.....
tuck in the fabric around the front leg and then cut the fabric around the back leg.....
Then staple to the bottom of the frame in the back, pulling it so that it is smooth and tight, but not so tight that there is no play in the foam and springs.
Then, starting in the middle of each side, staple the sides, smoothing the fabric and pulling it outward as you go.
Then stand back, and tell yourself what a trooper you are!!!!!
I forgot to shoot this, but I put a couple of straps of webbing over the outside back, then covered it with burlap.
This way someone won't cave in the back if they push into it.
Then I trimmed the burlap.
Now it's time to work on the inside back.
I traced the curve of the chair top, cut the paper, and lay it on the foam and traced the curve on the foam.
I used 2" soft foam for the back.
I cut the foam with my upholster shears.
I cut the curve and around the arms.
For the curve, I cut 1/2 in from the finished edge so I would have room for the tape and nail head trim. 
 Then I covered the inside back with dacron.
Fold the dacron over and lay the scissor's point centered with the arm, that's how you know where to make your cut.
 Stop around 1/2" or so from the arm and make a little Y cut, then you can fold the dacron down around the arm.
 Tuck the dacron through to the back and tack it down with staples.
Then trim it.
Then I started pulling it up and stapling it along the top, staying 1/2" away from the finished part of the frame with the carvings.
Then I stapled the sides onto the back. 

 Then I trimmed all the decron close to the staples.

lay the fabric so it's lined up, then pin in place.....
 staple along the bottom onto the back of the frame.
 Pull the fabric up, smooth and tighten, and staple in place.
Cut around the arms.....
CAREFULLY!!!!!
(This is really nerve wracking!!!!!) 
 Stand back and jump up and down.....
  Cut along the fabric line with a razor blade.

I tucked in the corner at the top.....
I am not very good at nailing in nail head trim, so I started each hole with my regulator.
A regulator is a very important upholstery tool. It's used to tuck in fabric and  adjust pleats and all kinds of neat stuff. 
It looks like a big needle.
That white plastic thingy is a nail head spacer, it helps make sure that the nails have been evenly placed.
 I made the tape out of the same fabric as the chairs.
 At this point, I was very please with myself!!!!!
But I still had to apply the nails to the legs and arms.......
OY, OY, OY!!!!!
So I added the nail head trim to the legs and arms.

Now it was time for the outside back.
I'm not going to lie.
It nearly did me in.
I'm not going to show everything, because the YouTube tutorial is so much better than my pathetic attempts.
Suffice it to say.....
There was lots of blood and band-aids involved!!!!!
But I will show part of it.....
First I made welting.
 I got the chair up on the work table, ready for my attack.....
 I started stapling the welting around the outside of the back.
I ran my finger along the side as I stapled, to hold the welt in place.
The center of the welt cord should line up with the edge of the chair frame. 
 When I brought the two end pieces together, I cut  back the fabric on one end and cut back the cord on the other end, 
 and folded the excess fabric over.....
 And stapled it down....

At this point I added the curve ease along the top edge.
You really need to look at the tutorial on YouTube.
I cut my hands to #$% on this stuff just getting it out of the box.....

Then I cut dacron to lay inside the welting to pad out the back, and tacked it in place with staples.

Then I  trimmed the dacron.
 At this point I was freaking out and calming down and freaking out and calming down, etc. etc. etc.,
and forgot to take any more pictures......
Sooooooo.....
let me show you how to finish the bottom.....
Flip the chair over.....
(I am so helpful....)
Staple welting all around the bottom edge.  
 Then get some black cambric fabric and staple to the edge of the welting.
 Now this is a trick I just learned from the YouTube tutorial.
Then, staple cardboard stripping against the edge of the welting.
This keeps the bottom welting nice and firmly in place.
 And then you is 
DONE!!!!!
So here's the finished product.....









So.....
It's going to be a while before I tackle something like this again.
It's for sale at Amy Chalmer's Boston store, Maison Decor.
If someone buys it, that will make me a professional upholsterer!!!!!
Here's a shot of it in her store!!!!!
I think this is just too cool for school!!!!! 
So, that's my story....

Latah, Gatah
 Photobucket
Partying at:

Cozy Little House
Primitive and ProperA Diamond in the StuffOrganize and Decorate Everything DIY TutorialA Delightsome Lifeshabby creek cottagePhotobucketMiss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog
<br><br><br><b>Join us every Friday...</b>French Country Cottagevif187SABlink-party

sunday_button_featIt's OverflowingBetween Naps On the PorchDIY Show Off MotivatedMondayatBeColorfulMod Vintage Life

Boogieboard CottageMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaAdd your LINKS!Funky Junk InteriorsPhotobucketHome Stories A to ZDIY Tutorial

96 comments:

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the finish on this chair and the antique French grain sack fabric...that is antique...from France...and used to hold grain! I upholstered a chair years ago. It's more difficult than it looks, and I don't think I would do it again. Beautiful job!

Amy Chalmers said...

This chair is really a work of art Betsy. It is so comfortable to sit in, and it looks so handsome!! And you did it yourself~!! AFter looking at this post I think it should be a million dollar chair!!! Hey, I also think you should put this post on your sidebar as a Tutorial on upholstery so we can find it easily~you will get thousands of hits. PS I think I have a buyer for your chair...so yes you will be a professional upholsterer!!!

Nita Stacy said...

That chair turned out so fantastic! It gorgeous. I'd say you are a professional upholsterer because it turned out looking just like a professional had done it.

Anonymous said...

Whew! I am wore out from just reading about this! Applause! Applause! Beautiful job on that pretty chair!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wow, Betsy, you are good and you are a professional upholsterer. That was a lot of work and the best job I have seen. Love it.

20 North Ora said...

How long did it take you to do that? I'm very oimpressed!! Great job!!

Judy

Unknown said...

Unbelievably gorgeous! What color did you paint the chair?

Mary said...

You did an outstanding job on this chair! It is beautiful. Wish I had your patience!

Mary
From Virginia

Cassie Bustamante said...

you are crazy talented! i LOVE this chair! the fabric and colors are perfect!

Brandi said...

Do you know how amazing you are?! Seriously! I am so amazed by your talent. Thank you for this well written tutorial.

Unknown said...

WOW! This is EASILY one of the best tutorials I've ever seen on reupholstering! The chair is beautiful! Found you off the Home Decor and Organizing Link Party.

Kristy @ Shona Skye Creations
http://shonaskye.blogspot.com

Cindy said...

That was freakin awesome! I learned a ton about upholstery by reading this... and i also learned that i'm never going to do that! I can't believe how great the chair looks, you did an amazing excellent job, and that 8 way hand knotting/tying you did is epic! I also love your antique grain sacks from france, that are actually antique, and held grain, and came from France!

Cindy

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

This chair is a work of art, Betsy! How beautiful it is finished... love the fabric and color!
Thanks so much for your detailed tutorial. I am refinishing 6 dining room chairs and a bedroom chair. This was such a huge help!!!
Fabulous post!

Rita's Recipes said...

Beautiful, amazing, and I'm exhausted just looking at your pictures. I was going to pin it, but who am I kidding? Never in a million years could I do something this professional looking. I may pin it anyway to show someone else how I want it done!

Lee said...

All that work and you didn't keep it?! I just don't think I could do that....plus it is beeUtiful!
Great work, once again.
Thanks for sharing your two part tale. Enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

Betsy that chair could not be more beautiful! What an awesome job you did! Thank you for sharing the tutorial. I will keep it for future reference. You're one talented and funny girl! lin

Nutbird said...

Holy Grain Sack, Betsey! What a great job you have done. I've taken a lot of upholstery classes, but I never got a regulator. I'm going to have to chase down one right away. I hope you are charging at least $600 for this. Ann

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Oh my .... I saw this on Amy's blog first and now i had the pleasure of seeing you upholster it....What an amazing job you did...and a great tutorial...Magnificent chair..I am sure by now the chair has already sold!!!

Anonymous said...

Betsey, you crack me up! You da bomb after doing that chair. I am more than impressed with your skills. I would have thrown in the towel (grain sack) at about step 3. I hope you charged mega bucks for that. It looked fabulous and you deserve every penny you get! BTW I have had a picture of one of your projects in my files for years, 15 years at least. I have learned from your blog that it was the bedroom in your cabin. Always loved the cozy feel of that charming room! You are very talented and so REAL!

Barbara said...

You need to charge a bazillion dollars for this gorgeous chair that was a ridiculous amount of work!! Good Grief! I do not ever plan to reupholster anything. . .

fixitfaerie said...

Wow, great tutorial. I saw it on Amy's blog first. I was really impressed with the colors on the wood showing. When you were painting the chair, I thought, 'what the heck, why all the different layers of colors'? Your attention to detail is amazing.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Wow! And great tutorial. The chair is absolutely gorgeous. I bet it already gone.

Shingle Cottage said...

Such a brilliant step by step tutorial!
I have upholstered chairs in the past and it really is a lot of work but look at your after picture,so worth it,It looks fabulous,I think Amy is going to have you working over time now,She may even be out buying dining tables with six chairs,can you imagine? ;) x

Jenny said...

WOW! I'm so impressed! It's hard to believe this is even the same chair! I have a couple of chairs that are a similar style that need to be redone. Amazing work!

Anonymous said...

Totally impressed! Great job and beautiful chair. I just wish I lived closer (I'm in Houston), I'd run over and buy that chair right this minute. Love it!

Olivia
And seriously, if she ships, email me and I will.
Livvie365@gmail.com

Kathleen said...

Betsy!! Thank you for the brilliant tutorial! I am inspired to tackle a job such as this! Kudos to you for your perseverance and my hat is certainly off to you for your gorgeous design sensibility. Detail after thoughtful detail really pays off. Exceptional job!

Kathleen said...

Betsy!! Thank you for the brilliant tutorial! I am inspired to tackle a job such as this! Kudos to you for your perseverance and my hat is certainly off to you for your gorgeous design sensibility. Detail after thoughtful detail really pays off. Exceptional job!

Erin said...

Wow. Seriously amazing job. And thanks for the tute cuz i just bought a chair that is sad, but gorgeous in spirit, and only $15, so I will be using your words to inspire and teach me as I go on my own chair journey.

Late Bloomers said...

Love, love, love the chair.. fantastic!
And the very, very detailed [I mean that in a good way] 'how to' as well.

Alas as is common with me, what I want to know about is what is not the topic of your post... the lovely wallpaper in what appears to be the hall outside your work room. *grin*

Ang
SoLongFarm.blogspot.com

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

I cannot imagine doing all that work! You really ARE the bomb! Your tutorial is fantastic! Someday when I've got days and days of energy on hand, I'll attempt this. In the meantime, do you take upholstering orders? {wink}

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Betsy,
Wow, what a lot of work but so worth it. It turned out beautifully in every way. Are sure you don't want to keep it (I would)
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

Diane said...

Betsy - I love/hate you. I have the same kind of chair. I bought it at Goodwill. I thought it was a great deal for $5. I would upholster it. I have never upholstered anything. But, my ego told me I could. I finished it, it's quite nice. Then I read your blog last night. And all I kept saying to myself was "oh, I didn't do that", "fox edge - is she making this up?", " I was supposed to glue it?". I looked at my chair and I wanted to put a photo of you on it and then throw my cell phone at you. WHY did you not post this blog BEFORE I did my chair. Why, you cruel cruel (very clever) woman. Now I look at my work, and think what a load of tosh. Yes, thanks Betsy. Thanks so much!!

(PS- the blog was EXCELLENT. Can I be you in my next life?).

Judy said...

That has to be one of the most thorough tutorials I have ever read. I am going to have to bookmark this so that I don't forget how to do this. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

Scribbler said...

If I did this, the price on this chair would be at least $8 million.

jninecostumes said...

Fabulous chair and tutorial for reupholstering. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

{Insert words of wonder and amazement here!}
Thank you for a fantastic post!
~Tracy

Arli said...

I'm in awe, truly. It looks magnificent. I can't believe you did that on your own, and managed to take pix along the way! I'm so impressed with your talent and creativity. I have some chairs that need reupholstering...bottoms only...and you inspired me to give it a try.

Donnamae said...

Betsy, that chair is a real stunner! Looks comfy too...boy, that's a lot of work! How long would you say that took you? No matter how long, it's truly gorgeous...hope you charged enough! ;)

Unknown said...

Fabulous tutorial, and just a lovely chair... I wouldn't have been able to sell it after all that work!!! Good for you for being able to cut it loose! I hope you get mucho buckaroonies for it!
Dandelion House Deb

Mary said...

An amazing tutorial.....I don't ever want to do this!! but watching (you) would be a scream.

Unknown said...

Wow- I am so impressed - your pictures are a great tutorial too- this chair is a gem and the lucky buyer should frame your pic next to it!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this A+ tute! And for the reference to another's tute. I have have 3 chairs that have been waiting forever. And this will be good for my headboard project. So glad I joined this party! di @ musings. http://subjectschosenatrandom.blogspot.com/http://subjectschosenatrandom.blogspot.com/

Debbie @DewdropGables said...

I have a wing chair in dire need of reupholstering (a hand me down from my parents) and have no idea how to start. This tutorial is amazing in the details, the best one I've seen so far! I will be checking out the youtube tut for more. Thank you so much for sharing...and for the chuckles along the way! Love this post.
Saw you linking At The Picket Fence and I'm now following you.
Debbie :)

Sew a Fine Seam said...

That is totally awesome! I am in the midst of a chair redo - I am pinning this - I need it badly!

One Purple Dandelion said...

This is so pretty and you did such a good job! Thanks for the thorough explanation of each step and lots of pic, too.....I have a chair that I'm going to redo (someday!) but have been too afraid to go any further than taking all the old stuff off......you've given me the excitement to maybe give it a try!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Wow! I read through this carefully, and I cannot believe all the work that went into it. I had glanced at it before, but reading it step by step, I am awed. You really did a super job on this chair, Betsy, and I think you need to charge through the ying yang for it. I love the grainsacks. MJ is one of my good friend's initials. Thanks for sharing.

XO,

Sheila

Anonymous said...

Your chair is absolutely gorgeous! I took an
upholstery class and your tutorial is more helpful than the class I took. Thank you. I'm in the process of taking the staples out of two
chairs that I am reupholstering. I had them
previously reupholstering and guess what I found
out...the previous reupholster just put fabric over the other fabric. Unbelievable. One reason to do it yourself, then you know what you
have! Thanks, Sandra

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. I can't say you made it look simple -- but you did give me a tad more confidence to try it myself! The chair turned out beautifully. Now I have to follow you to see what you're going to come up with next!

Jennifer Grenko said...

Fantastic! I am totally impressed because that looked really hard!
Jennifer

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Betsy, This seems like a lot of work but the results are fabulous! I love the grain sack with the monogram. Thanks for linking your project to the Open House party.

Designing Domesticity said...

Wowzers, you are not messing around with this chair. That is a lot of work, but so worth it. Looks amazing. well done, you. Thanks for sharing, liz

DIYbyDesign said...

You did an amazing job. I will be featuring this tomorrow night at my Fall into Fall party that opens on Tuesday evenings at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Ok so I started off reading this post thinking - OH GREAT - finally - I can learn how to do this the RIGHT away - and about half way through I realized it ain't happening lol.
What an incredible job you did - absolutely gorgeous!!!

Madonna said...

When I saw the before I wondered what possessed you. The finished product is just wonderful. You are a genius. Have you ever heard of the saying making a silk purse out of a sow's ear? This must be what they meant.

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Thank you so much for posing this tutorial! I have a chair almost identical except for the top decorative piece. The springs keeping coming undone and I was on the very of just cutting them out and making a seat with a board and cushion. Now I know how to fix it! I'm a new follower and am off to look around your fabulous blog!

French Hen's Nest said...

Wow Betsy, your chair turned out so beautiful! Great instructions and I love all your tools too! I am in the middle of upholstering a chair and I think I must have left out a few steps! The French Hens are your newest followers.

Elaine said...

The chair is beautiful. Thank you for convincing me I will PAY someone to do mine. The time involved alone is worth paying this cool hippy dude that does great work here in town. Thanks for the inspiration.

foreverdecorating said...

Oh the work involved. This is just plain stunning. Wow. I have done some chairs like this and it's a tremendous amount of work and every time I finish one, I say never will I do that again...only to do another and another! I adore yours and don't think I could sell it! Except for a million dollars!

smart momma said...

thank you for the tutorial but i don't think i could pull this off myself! :(

your chair looks awesome and i bet it was all worth the band-aids :)

dropping by from motivated monday, come visit me back at: http://smart-momma.blogspot.com/

huggies***
rea

The Charm of Home said...

It turned out beautiful! Great job! Thank you for joining HSH!
Sherry

Unknown said...

Wow! It looks fantastic! This is such a great tutorial, and you have tons of great pictures! I really want to reupholster a chair someday. (By the way, I found you at the Fine Craft Guild link party.)

Kathy said...

Betsy! Betsy! Well done! You've quite impressed me! I am going to check out those videos and tutorials. I have a couple of chairs that can be candidates for this - I saw some of this fabric at the fair----now wishing I'd picked some up! The lady said it was her last time at the fair - she normally goes to fabric trade shows.
I am going to 'Pin' this so I can remember to come back to this! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Kathy said...

Also, I'll be featuring this post in this week's Home and Garden Party - I appreciate you sharing,
Kathy

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Thanks for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday Betsy. You are featured at todays party :)

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

You are a rock star!! Wow!! What you didn't share it at Cowgirl Up? Are you serious? This is amazing. I'm saving these awesome intsructions for future use, or better yet, maybe I'll just send you all of my furniture. Please let me know if you link it to Cowgirl Up.

Saw Dust Art said...

You have done a amazing job. I have a chair I have been wanted to recover but a little scared. After seeing this tutorial with brilliant step by step photos I am going to give it a go. I love that you put your oops moments in. I reminded me that it's ok to have them.it how we learn. Thanks

Danielle said...

Betsy, great job! I saw it over at Amy's blog. It looks great in the shop. You really transformed this one! I love your step by step b/c I've seen so many chairs that look like the before and thought they were way passed help. Thank you so much for this inspiration.

Helen said...

Thank you so much for this post. I have a chair I need to work on and I just can't face it yet.I have seen your How To all over blogland and I am just now taking the time to read it. So glad I did!!

Helen

Holly said...

Wow! This is GORGEOUS! I love it and love the step by step guide. I've wanted to attempt a reupholstery on one of my chairs and I've been terrified to try. Not sure if your post made me less terrified but at least I know where to go for reference when I attempt it. It looks daunting!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

I'm incredulous. I had to feature your beautiful work tonight on BeColorful's Motivated Monday. Thanks for sharing.
p

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Oh my you should be proud of yourself, and from what I can see you sure are a professional upholsterer. It is beautiful, and love the great tutorial that I have pinned for future use. Thanks for sharing your inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

Rose, Happy Home Decorating said...

omg what a work went into this chair! wow. Thank you for linking it up at http://www.finecraftguild.com . A new party opens tomorrow. Look forward to seeing you again then!

Crafty Texas Girl said...

WOW! You have talent! Thanks for sharing on Cowgirl Up this week- such a treat to see such a great transformation. I am sharing your project tonight on my Facebook page- so grab a button from the blog for 'being featured'!
:) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crafty-Texas-Girls/140299076008437

Karina Russell said...

This was a BIG job! Your chair turned out beautiful.

Unknown said...

One of the best tutorials I've ever seen! Beautiful chair. I took an upholstery class and didn't learn as much. Great job!
~Mary

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

That is some dedication right there! You have mastered the craft of upholstery in my book. Looks FANTASTIC!!

♥Linsey

Its So Very Cheri said...

GORGEOUS!!! I love the lines on that chair.

I am featuring you today.

Cheri

G3rri said...

I'm not sure how I happened across your blog... maybe Miss Mustardseed's furniture friday (?). I am so glad that I did. I love the chair, the detailed instructions, your writing. Your writing style is awesome. I LOL :D So glad to have found your site!

Thespoena McLaughlin said...

A most excellent tutorial miss Betsy. Thanks so very much. I'm very soon going to tackle my second antique chair that is very much like this one so this has helped. :)

Rose :: Fine Craft Guild said...

I agree. This and how you talked about HAND EMBROIDERING those chairs for your BFF are some of my favorites of your blog in 2012. Thank you so much for linking these up with us. Sincerely look forward to your regular linky party contributions in the new year! :: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! ::

Anonymous said...

You done good.

Unknown said...

Wow excellent work. I love this tutorial you have shared a splendid detailed tutorial. Your blog is very informative and marvelous. I like it very much and I am saving these awesome instructions for future use. These instructions are very helpful for making a bedroom chairs.

Regards
Nathan

PCovi said...

IN.CREDIBLE!!!
Wondering where you got the fabric...

Joselyn @ Meaningful Remnants said...

Your chair is so beautiful. You are indeed an accomplished upholsterer an your tutorial is the best I have ever seen. It brought me back to the upholstery classes I took a few years back. What a great refresher. Job well done and thanks so much for writing such a detailed post. Pinning this for future reference.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures and descriptions!

In the last photo, I see a Swedish Mora Clock. Is it for sale? How much are you asking and what city are you located in?

Splendid Little Stars said...

Wow! What a great in depth tutorial! The chair turned out fabulously!

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial and a lovely end result. Thanks for this.

Anonymous said...

Probably the best and clearest tutorial I have ever found on the net. I live in France and have a less complicated chair to do, but similar shell design at the top. And since I live in France I will have no trouble finding grain sacks and old linen .....
chezbon

Anonymous said...

Wonderful job, very helpful with a project I am doing, thanks! A question though in general, re: old furniture: we all love (or at least appreciate) really old antique furniture, yet what are we leaving for future generations in terms of "antiques"? I've seen really nice furniture from circa 1900 - 1940 for example, with carving and nice veneer or wood, painted and upholstered beyond recognition. These alterations are often made "respectable" with the term, "shabby chic". Slap on some white paint, attach the chair or whatever with a blowtorch, tie raffia around the legs, and, "ta da!" a work of art. Not. Yes, I know, we all have different tastes, but my comment concerns the preservation of old furniture for future generations to enjoy. If we find a chair or table that's really badly damaged, then yes, go for it, but please: don't take your grandmothers handsome, circa 1920 Jacobean dining set and strip it, paint it, and staple faux tiger fur onto the chair seats, though seat coverings can be reversed of course. Old furniture connects us to our collective past. Keeping it "as is", caring for it, and not changing it for some trendy, soon to be old "look", keeps that connection in part alive.

Linens said...

Betsy you have shared superb post. You have done nice job. You've quite impressed me! Your every post is sound lovely. I have a couple of chairs that can be candidates for this - I saw some of this fabric at the fair. Now wishing I'd picked some up! The lady said it was her last time at the fair - she normally goes to fabric trade shows. A hat off for you. Keep sharing useful post.

ShopUsed said...

Good heavens. I just came across this in the process of looking for a tutorial on how to build a chair frame. What an outcome! I am so impressed and will save this for the time (if ever) I have time to try this. Don't know if this is your first attempt at such a project. If it is, I'm even MORE impressed, and it will get easier the next time around. THIS I know from experience of trying several things...but I'm sure you know that. Now you can sit back and wait for someone to ask "what's the least you'll take for this..." having no idea (or perhaps knowing and not caring) about the time & energy that went into a very high quality piece. 8 way hand tied for goodness sake. Man, I'm impressed....but I already said that, huh. Thanks for such an informative post!

Re-upholstered chairs said...

We found a french bed (with the curved foot board) at a flea market- loved the bed but it needed re -upholstering, I found someone to do it for us which cost £350 in the end!.. I wish I would have read this article first as, I could of done it myself, had a good project, learnt how to re-upholster and saved myself a lot of money. - really good article, thank you.

Derek said...

I love your chair and am using it as inspiration as the price tab keeps mounting on buying supplies! I am wondering how long it took you to complete this (I am sorry if you said somewhere and I missed it)? Also, did you do anymore chairs after this one?

Thanks,

RubberChickenGirl

Susan Sands said...

Betsy Speert!! Years ago I remember tearing out pages from a magazine of a darling cabin (I think) that you designed - it had a bed with carved bears on top of the bed posts :)
I just bought two antique french chairs and started to reupholster - have spent the last two nights taking (ripping) off the old fabric and pulling out staples with a steak knife and a set of mini pliers, yes I stabbed my thumb thankfully no stitches though I bled on my new linen fabric :( Thank you for this post so happy I found you!!

Anonymous said...

Holy Moly that was a lot of work! But your chair is freaking gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic tutorial. I just may try my hand at reupholstering a beautiful old chair I have in the garage. Thank you

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...