Thursday, December 13, 2012

Betsy's Sweat Shop/Chez Betsy makes its debut



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am sewing my hand painted pillows for Amy's shop, Maison Decor.
I've sewn a million of them.....
(OK, maybe 6......)
Let's see.....
driving to get the fabric.....
driving home.....
washing the fabric.....
ironing the fabric.....
painting the fabric.....
washing it again.....
cutting the fabric.....
sewing the fabric.....
driving to Amy's shop, to stuff the pillow covers and sew the pillows closed.....
pinning on the price tags.....
I am a bidness woman!!!!!
I WILL MAKE 5 CENTS AN HOUR!!!
I realized that I have created my own sweat shop.
I am very clever.
Sooooooo......
Here are the pictures to go with the story!!!!!
First up are shots of them sewn but unstuffed in my workroom.
Amy wanted them to look faded, so I had to experiment to get this look.
OH BOY.....
CLOSE UPS!!!!!
Some more....

Sooooooo.....
Amy finally got off her @$$ and ordered the feather fillings.
We didn't want no Dacron for these babies....
NO NO NO NO NO!!!
Only feathers for us!!!!!
YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!
Soooooo.....
Amy was supposed to order them.
But she didn't get around to it.
And didn't get around to it.
And didn't get around to it.
It's like she's busy or something.
THE WOMAN HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING GOING ON IN HER LIFE!!!!!
(Just running two stores and taking care of her family and dogs.)
(I mean, how much time can that take?????) 
(It's not like there's a lot to do.....)
(She only has to paint all the furniture that she sells.)
(After all she uses Chalk Paint,so there's no prep.....)
(JEESH.....)

Soooooo.....
As I was saying, she finally got the feather inserts, but then I got sick.....
NOW I'M ALL BETTER!!!!!
So on Monday I drove ALL THE WAY OVER to Maison Decor.
Which takes 35 minutes.
I hit EVERY STOP LIGHT!!!!!
Amy brought her sewing machine into the shop, so I could sew the pillows closed.
First we had to wind the bobbin.....
Amy overwound it and got too much thread on it, so the tension was all screwy.
We thought that was the problem anyway.....
Turns out there's this little wheel on the front of the machine that controls the tension.
So we adjusted it..... and everything was fine and dandy when Amy use the damn machine.
But every time I got to work on it, it would jam up again.
I couldn't figure this darn evil contraption out.
I was missing my machine.
I should have brought my machine with me.
MY MACHINE WORKS GREAT!!!!
Then Amy pointed out that I hadn't lowered the pressure foot..........
oops.
This is what happens when you use untrained labor.
This'l teach her!!!!!!!
Here's a shot of me trying to center myself at the beginning of this debacle.
I would like to note that I have never meditated before, 
and it was no help at all!!!!!
Here's a shot after Amy stopped laughing at me, and I got the damn machine to behave.....
I obviously didn't take these pictures.
Some one who didn't mind giving me a hard time did.
She also couldn't believe that I forgot my camera, so all of these shots from her store are from Amy.
At least I remembered the pillow covers!!!!!
Here they are all in a row in the shop in Malden.

She's going to bring them into Boston, and sell them there.
If they sell, I just might do some more.
I mean, 5 cents an hour!!!!!
I'LL BE RICH!!!!!
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket
Partying at:
Miss Mustard Seed's Creative BlogBetween Naps On the PorchButtonDIY Show OffMakeitPrettyMonday

13 comments:

Jenna said...

Love your blog! You have a great sense of humor! The pillows are UH-MAZING! Gorgeous!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the pillows! You two are like Lucy and Ethel.

Debby said...

Okay, if you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you paint them? Did you use a stencil, and if so where did you get the stencil? What kind of paint did you use and what fabric. Sorry, I am very inquisitive (sp). Love your blog.

Shingle Cottage said...

So funny how you wrote about Amy having nothing to do lol!
I love your pillows very chic! xxx

laney said...

..the pillows are wonderful!...you are a hoot...and i am remembering why i hated sewing...it was that bobbin thingie...and the tension thingie...and the pressure foot thingie...and mostly the end result thingie...that never ever looked like your end result thingie...you are indeed worth more than a nickel!...blessings laney

Anonymous said...

Very funny. I think I actually make a negative 5 cents on most of my projects and a negative $5 on some, but I, too, am a clever business something :) pillows are great....ton of work though!

Anonymous said...

Oh Betsy, You are sooo funny. Love the pillows. You do beautiful work.
Please don't outsource the sewing to a third world country when the orders start rolling in. Are these going to be signed and dated by the famous designer ? Marian

michele said...

they are fabulous, but i am hearin ya. good thing the creative life pays in other ways, amen?

stop by soon, lovely blogger.

michele

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

I like Marian's idea of you signing and dating the pillows. Maybe you could up the price another 5 cents to cover your extra labor?

Brenda @ DIY Home Decor Blogs said...

I don't ever laugh out loud at blog posts but your "oops" got me. Too funny

Cindy said...

Your pillows are awesome, and so is your story about the 50 gazillion things you had to do to get them finally stuffed and on that sofa!

Cindy

Vicki Novak said...

Well, Betsy, just wanted to say hope you feel better soon. My husband and I live in Melbourne, Fl. and both of us have been sick for almost a week now. We are better now so hang on and you will live througsh this. I also wanted to thank you for my big belly laughs that I get every time I read your posts. I love all your great ideas. Your get me of my as# to go and do something creative. You are GREAT!!!

Unknown said...

Angie @ theburdsnest.net
I love your blog and those pillows are just to die for!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...