Friday, December 7, 2012

My Auction Score!!!

Before I continue with Kris's house, I would like to digress and reveal another furniture project I finished this past fall.
Every month or so, Kris (my bidness partner) and I hit a local auction.
We go to the preview and look at all the stuff,
then meet in a corner and 
(shush)...whisper...(shush)
in great excitement!!!!! 
about how we want to bid on things.
We are always afraid that someone else will see the potential in what we want.
This past autumn, we found this lot.....

All four pieces were being sold as one lot.
I loved EVERYTHING!!!!!
Kris, not so much.
Kris wasn't alone, as 
No one bid against us!!!!
NO ONE!!!!
I thought the painting was da bomb!!!!!
Kris, not so much.....
I didn't care, all I needed her for was her car and her strong back,
for helping me move this #$% stuff.
WELL!!!!
Amy, at Maison Decor agreed with me, and she loved the bed, chair and little table.
I figured I could upholster the chair and sell it in her shop.....
WELL!!!!!
She's already sold it, without me having to do 
nuthin'!!!
A guy bought it for his upholstery class.
Seeeee????
I'm not so crazy Kris, so there.
As for the little table, I asked Amy if she wanted me to clean it up, or repaint the top, as it was in pretty bad chippy condition.
Amy said.....
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!
So, she put it in her shop as it is, then she called me and said she wanted to try it in her living room......
So, she sent me this picture from her phone.....
She asked me what I thought.
I suggested putting a little footstool under it, and add some pillows.....
Sooooooo.....
Amy shopped in her house, and restaged the sofa and sent me this new picture.....
I think it looks
STUPENDOUS!!!
Sooooooo......
Now it's in her house......
SO THERE KRIS!!!!!
Two down, two to go!!!!!
The chest was really beat up.....
The top in particular.
These pieces were painted over gesso, so when the paint chipped, it really left a divot... 
Here's a shot of the chest,
 before I started working on it in my  basement workshop.....
The top was really shot to #$@

Now, this is the piece I fell in love with at the auction.
I just really like the shape of this chest.
Kris felt it was a train wreck and would be a bear to repair.
I was completely unfazed!!!!!
I am intrepid!!!!!
I am 
RE-INVENTOR  WOMAN!!!!
I also didn't realize that part of this was broken, but that comes a little later in my story.....
so keep reading.....

The first thing I did was get my Elmers wood putty to repair the large chips and gouges.

Then I sanded the putty..... 
Added some more and sanded some more, and filled in all the holes.... 
Then I painted it in Paris Grey Chalk Paint.....
And then I wondered why the drawers didn't fit properly any more.....
hummmmmmm......what's wrong, what's wrong?????
Oops!!!
They follow the shape of the chest, and were in the wrong order, what a fabulous piece of furniture!!!!!
Ok, that's better.
So at this point, I'm standing back and admiring how I am bringing new life to this chest, 
(and all the money I'll make selling it.....)
when I noticed that there was a broken piece on the bottom of the left side.
Now let me just say at this juncture...
I had repaired and painted this chest, and not noticed it.
I am blind.
I am blind.
I am blind.
How the hell was I going to get good money on a broken chest?????
I had two options:
Cut off the same piece on the right, or repair the left side......
Before I get to that, though, I kept painting the piece.....
I added Chalk Paint Old White detailing by striping the edges of the drawers and the top of the chest.....
I also painted the inside of the drawers, to make them clean and fresh....
Marion, of Miss Mustard Seed fame, had been writing about Frog tape, so I thought I'd give it a try.
I really liked it, it's sturdier than the blue tape. 
I freehanded the stripe on the top, though....
Then I did a little distressing around the key holes and drawers, letting the blue of the old paint show through....
At this point, it was time to tackle the broken bottom piece.

I got a piece of tracing paper, and traced the unbroken profile on the right side......
Then, I flipped it over and laid it on the broken part, and traced where the break line was.....
Then, I drew just the piece that was to be replaced.....
Then I took it to my good friends at Drape It, my drapery and upholstery workroom, and made asked Joe to cut the piece for me.
The two of us like to play on projects together, so even though he grumbled, he still helped me out.
We used a very expensive piece of scrap pine.....
all two inches of it....
form the trash....
Joe even drilled a hole in the piece for me, 
so I had a pilot hole for the finish nail I used 
(which he also gave me.....)
Then I took my little piece back to my workshop, and glued and nailed it in place.....
Then I added some wood putty to cover the crack where the seam was....
And then I sanded it down smooth....
And painted it.....
And hopped around the basement workshop, hugging my self in glee!!!!!
Then I waxed the damn thing.....

And was thoroughly impressed with 
MOI!!!!!
Now it's for sale in the Boston Design Center at 
Here are a couple of shots of it in it's temporary home in the showroom....

So, here's a side by side of the before and after....
Can you tell I'm a proud DIY'er????
So, that's my post for today, 
which, if you noticed was late. 
I usually write on Thursday,
 but I am a blogger and a free spirit, and I do what I want, when I want.
I am a wild child.
I am a rebel.
I am full of #$%
on that note....
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket
Partying at:
Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog<b>Add my button to your sidebar!</b>Inspiration Friday GraphicFrench Country Cottagevif187It's Overflowingsunday_button_featDIY-project-parade-button-thumbnaili should be mopping the floorBetween Naps On the PorchButtonBoogieboard CottagePhotobucketPhotobucketMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaHome Stories A2Zshabby creek cottagePhotobucketgiveaways


27 comments:

Brenda said...

Very clever (for a wild child). Thank you for helping me see potential in almost everything.

Divine Theatre said...

Madame,

I believe you have my furniture. Please return it posthaste!

xo

Andie

20 North Ora said...

Betsy,

You crack me up!! Love all of the pieces. You did a bang-up job on the one piece. Great job!!

Judy

Mumma Shirl said...

I love all four pieces as well and so happy you got them without another bidder, Your before and after is amazing.

Regards Shirley

Unknown said...

You are my hero! I would have cried once I saw the missing piece so far into the project! I'm going to print this out to refer to the next time I get stumped. Kudos wild child - Kudos!

Judy

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

All of those finds were awesome! Amazing job on that chest!

Pam from Louisville said...

Great finds!! I'm glad the little table found a home already. I think it's charming.

Cynthia said...

You did such an amazing job on that chest! I love all of these pieces, they are beautiful.

Cynthia

Connie said...

Betsy, you amaze me That chest is fabulous!

Barbara from MA said...

Everyone else agrees with me!!!! You are AMAZING!!!!!

Susie2 said...

Absolutely gorgeous. You certainly work hard for being retired - and we benefit as a result!!

Laura said...

Beautiful job!! I would so love to go to that auction with you.
Love that table in the livingroom- so unique and gorgeous!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Betsy, You are brilliant!!! You have such an eye for painted, vintage, antique etc, etc, etc great "stuff"! I adore your style and attitude!!!!

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL !!! You did a great job ! I saw the table and bed on Amy's blog and just LOVED them,I would love to have a bed like that only Queen size.
I look forward to your blogs, love them, you are a woman after my heart,everything you do is wonderful !!

Mari said...

Lol your just to clever and funny for even yourself, I think your great....
Not to mention how you breathe new life to that gorgeous piece of furniture....
Just to fab ;)

Smiles~
Mari

Andi's English Attic said...

Ooooooh, the chest of drawers were my favourite out of the whole lot. You've done a grand job. The patron saint of unloved furniture! xx

French Henh's Nest said...

Love the chest Betsy and how you repaired the broken piece. All the other stuff was great too.I enjoy reading your blog so much. Will miss your design answers but agree you shouldn't do it if it isn't fun. You are too funny.

Linda

......Michele @ Portlandia Vintage said...

You have a great eye. I appreciate your thorough post, very helpful!

Karen said...

Excellent Restoration!!!! Love it!!!! Well done to you for tracing and cutting new piece of timber, no would ever know.....


Cheers
Karen
At Home Vintage

Unknown said...

Came over from a link party, and am completely in love with your little bow front chest. The way you fixed the mixing piece? I'm keeping that idea for future reference.

Brenda @ DIY Home Decor Blogs said...

I haven't gotten up the nerve to go to auctions yet, they seem kind of intimidating.

fixitfaerie said...

OH MY, my champagne bucket is almost black! That must mean I need to polish it and all the other black silver I own, imagine that! lol BUT, my silver flatware is nice and shiney. That's what really matters. ( you know, cause we use it, oh probably, 4-5 times a year!)
I like the pieces you got at the auction....and you even fixed the chest, huzzah, (renaissance for whoppee) Have a nice trip down south and enjoy your pretty cottage. Paula

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

WOW...what a phenomenal job you did! Oh so chic!
♥Linsey

Sean Ahner said...

What a great post! You've got a best job ,I cant wait for the next blog that you posted

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/Clever-Chicks-Blog-Hop-12.html



I hope you can make it!

Cheers,

Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick



Nita Stacy said...

Love all of this...especially the little table Amy took. It's soooo chippy perfect.

Jayne said...

I was cruising around your blog and found this post, these pieces are gorgeous!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...